1) Airport pick-ups: Some of you have written to say you have arranged your own transportation to the conference. Thank you. For everyone else, if you would like to be picked up at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, please make sure we have your arrival details. You can verify this in your registration file (link below). Look for signs saying LIRC8/MANI held by drivers of the Grand Voyage Travel Agency. Again, the cost for this service is US$20.00 or Kshs2,000 each way and can be paid in cash to the conference registrar upon your arrival at the Dimesse Center. Please bring exact change if at all possible. If necessary, you can reach us by phone at: +254-722-689-221 (Jane). Remember to print and carry this document prepared by our MANI partners for your quick reference: http://globalcmiw.org/resources/mani_travel_advisory_lirc8.pdf
2) Conference registration opens at 16:00 on Monday, April 30th. Our Planning Team, however, will be on site beginning the afternoon of Sunday, April 29th, should you arrive early and need some help. The conference ends after breakfast on Friday, May 4th.
3) For those participants coming from abroad, you may wish to bring some cash as a travel cushion. If coming from the US, local partners suggest $200-$300 in the form of new bank notes, either $50 or $100 denominations (in addition to the two $20.00 notes you will need for airport transport). If you have not purchased your e-visa on line (which we strongly recommend you do, as it will save you much time) you can pay for your visa at the airport with a new $50 note. Remember to print out your Letter of Invitation to show at Immigration. If you have not received your Letter of Invitation, please let us know.
4) When making application for your Kenyan visa, please check the "Tourism" option. Remember too to verify whether you need to update your Yellow Fever vaccination (see https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/kenya for additional information).
3) Conference Program: If you would like to get a feel for the rhythm of our days together, you can find the conference program here:
4) Presentation of Papers and Workshops: If you would like to browse the seminar options ahead of time, you can find a full listing of papers and workshops here:
5) There are still spaces for Single-Day Participants to come and hear the presentations on any of the full days of the conference. Register no later than April 29 for this option at our conference registration site: https://intre.org/index.php?365
Also, if you live locally and wish to attend the opening session (April 30th) free of charge, please respond to this email and we can give you full details.
6) You may wish to bring insect repellent with you.
7) Finally, please click on this link: http://globalcmiw.org/resources/mani_travel_advisory_lirc8.pdf to receive a letter from our partner MANI. It contains local information of various sorts in addition to information about the plastics ban. The ban on plastic bags does not apply to the 1-liter zip-locks you may receive at the airport for your small liquids. If you wish to have your own water bottle with you, we suggest you bring either glass or metal. Please read it carefully, print it out to carry with you as you travel, and follow its instructions precisely. It comes with our prayers for a safe arrival and comfortable stay with us in Nairobi.